Carolina - New York, New York

I believe that everyone has a vocation, whether they choose to believe it or not. It is how you live out your vocation that reflects on your character, and might bring out the best in others to further perpetuate the cycle of paying good deeds forward.

I have been dancing since I was four years old. My mother enrolled me in my first ballet lesson since she too had been a dancer. However, she always gave me the opportunity to quit if I chose to. It was not until I went to Rome in 2000 for World Youth Day (at age fourteen) that I realized dancing was what I wanted to pursue in life.

A keynote speaker at one of the events spoke of using the gifts God gave you in order to bring good to the earth. It might sound cliché, but it was then that I realized just how much a person can bring to the world just by using their talent. A dancer’s art is a tremendous sacrifice and struggle—until they perform. To be on stage after countless hours of rehearsal and class is the ultimate reward, but it is not for oneself as much as it is for the audience who came to support the art of dancing (with hopes to be entertained). There is no knowing just how far an onlooker can be moved when watching a dancer on stage. Moved to donate to charity with time or money, moved to pass a positive piece of legislation, moved not to hurt someone and thus love one another, or moved to be kind to someone who really needs it that in turn will do that for someone else…the list does not end here.

By having the courage to carry out your vocation in the best way you can, you are listening to the plan of a higher power and putting yourself in someone else’s hands who only wants the best for you and everyone else. Likewise, you are now realizing that the movement to move someone (better known as “Pay It Forward”) may result in a rippling effect that causes people to help each other and respect one another. In today’s world, this simple respect can make an enormous difference, especially when so many lives are lost on the basis of no mutual respect for each other’s differences.