Morgan - Franklin, Wisconsin
Themes: carpe diem

When I was in eighth grade, my class watched the movie the Dead Poets Society and I fell in love with the character Mr. Keaton, Oh captain! My captain! I know that when most people think of teenage girls and admiring movie characters, it’s because they’re hot or foreign; but this wasn’t the case. Mr. Keaton was so…spontaneous, and energetic, he didn’t care about his reputation or what rules he was breaking. He had a purpose at Welton, and that was to teach one of the most important lessons in life; one that can’t be read about in a textbook.

Mr. Keaton believed in it, and so do I. I believe in Carpe diem, “Seize the day!” The phrase stuck ever since I saw the movie, and it’s been my intention to follow this lifestyle ever since.

One thing you should know to understand the impact of this quote is that I’m definitely not the stereotype for your average teenager. I’m not disrespectful, and I don’t get into trouble. I do all my homework, volunteer regularly, and go to church every Sunday. Before this quote, I always tried to be perfect, and to please everyone. I loved being organized, prepared, and having everything possible planned out. For a while, I was happy but you know what? I wasn’t having enough fun.

I decided enough was enough, and that I’m still a kid, there shouldn’t be any rush for me to grow up. As stupid as it may sound, I want to live a life full of stories and experiences that I can tell to my grandchildren; stories about wild things I did in my youth that weren’t stupid, but silly.

It’s been hard for me, because I’m still trying to break out of my habit to not to turn down anything involving the slightest bit of risk. The world is so amazing, and I want to experience it as much as I can. I want to travel, and learn sign language. I want to sky dive, and try foreign delicacies. I want to learn to play another instrument and read classic novels. I want to live a life other people would be jealous of. There is no way I can do any of this unless I seize the day.

So, each day, I try to do something spontaneous, or try something new. If I’m going out to eat, I won’t get my regular, I’ll go for something different. I’ll splurge all my money on an adorable pair of jeans. I’ll stay up all night with a friend talking about boys while eating so much junk food that we both feel like we’ve gained ten pounds. Although these things are really small in the whole scheme of life, it makes me a lot happier.

If I want a full life, I need to seize the day. Who knows what will happen tomorrow; so never let a day go by unfulfilled. Life should have no regrets, so take a chance! That’s my belief.