I believe in the unconditional love of family.

Greg - Dayton, Ohio
Themes: family, love

I believe my little sister brings happiness wherever she goes. I try to mimic her care-free actions. I learn her lessons not to take life seriously, but instead to enjoy all aspects of life no matter how large or small. I believe in the unconditional love I feel for my sister, a sister that for a while I did not want.

Imagine being a six year old boy with an older sister but no younger siblings. I was the center of attention in the family with no worries in life. I then found out I was going to have a baby brother or sister. Being largely involved with sports and having the mindset of a six year old boy, I prayed every night for a baby brother. I wanted a buddy, someone to pal around with and this seemed impossible with a sister.

I remember it so vividly. Standing by the couch in my living room, the exhausted voice of my mother comes on the phone and before I could even ask the question I heard the words I had feared for the past nine months, “It’s a girl.” It’s a girl. The words resounded through my ears as if a dagger in my heart. I dropped to the ground unable to speak. My fantasy world of sports, video games, and army men was transformed to one of Barbie and Polly pocket. Or so I feared.

I just got back to The University of Dayton from visiting my house 350 miles away in Springfield, IL. What could possibly pull a college sophomore away from a beautiful weekend? The answer is simple: my best friend had a softball game and I was not going to miss it. Ever since she could walk, I was trying to teach her sports. When I got my first football pads, guess who was dressed in those that night so her brother could tackle her full power without hurting her. My baseball gloves became her softball gloves. When she had a problem, I tried everything in my power to help her. I have spent more time with my little sister, McKenzie, than any other person. No matter how childish it might seem, I still enjoy making up games with her and just being a kid.

Now I am feeling what I guess most parents feel: she is getting big. Junior High dances are starting this fall for her and, even though I jokingly vowed to chaperone every one of them, I know she is growing up and becoming more independent. Even though I live 350 miles away, I try to take McKenzie’s philosophy of life and bring it to Dayton. Even though I take school and work seriously, some of her “youngness” has rubbed off on me.

I would do anything for my little sister and I know she would do the same for me. I believe that the love of family gave me a best friend growing up, and memories I will never forget.