Payton - sprindale, Arkansas
Themes: family, setbacks

When my brother was first born, I found that he wasn’t normal. The doctors told my family he had “Autism”. At eight years old, all I could do was give the doctor a puzzled expression. He imediatly caught on to my troubled expression and explained. Many children that have autism keep to them selves and never talk. At this, I pictured the kids at a specific table at school kids called, ” The retards” I bursted into tears not wanting my brother to have to go through what these children had to everyday. My brother, Trevor, didn’t start talking untill about two years old but instead of saying normal words he seemed to have his own language saying things such as wawa, waduchi, and he called me buba sis. After our parents divorced, Trevor seemed worse. He would act as if he was bipolar, one moment he would be perfectly happy, then the next he would be very angry, throwing things at anyone who tried to come near him. Not soon after the divorce, my dad met a woman and Trevor was very confused. Trevor would call this woman “Mom” not understanding that he had only one mom. I would try to explain this to my brother, only resulting in a bigger confusion. After a few years my dad married this woman, and not too much longer, my father said he no longer wanted to see us. My father would say he didn’t want to see us then come back a few months later and act like everything was fine and he never left. This upset Trevor very much, He got to the point where when we would have to go back to my dads after a while at our moms, he would simply say ” I hate my dad and I hope the police arrest him.” My mother and I would explain that he shouldn’t hate his father and my Mother tried everything to convince my dad to stop doing this, saying that it was tearing up Trevor and myself. My dad ignored her and continued doing the same thing over and over again. Trevor in my opinion and in many other peoples, is a bright and funny young man. Trevor is in first grade and the class clown.l I am so proud of him for trying his hardest and being cheerful eventhough so much is going on. This is why I believe, if you get a child in the family who is said to be ” Not quite normal” consider this a blessing, because without my brother, I would have never realized how good my life is and how blessed I am to have a brother who makes me burst into laughter every day no matter what is going on.