Leigha - Clearwater, Florida
Themes: carpe diem, death

“You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die. Or when. You can only decide

howyou’re going to live. Now.” Nothing in life is guaranteed, not even the next breath one may

take. I believe that it is important to not take life for granted and to make every second worth

while. Do not pass by an opportunity to say “I love you” for one does not know that it may

be their last.

Death is a part of life. It is everywhere, all around us, all of the time. It wasn’t until the

premature death of a friend where this realization was brought before my eyes. In a matter of

second a life is snuffed out. Death does not care whether you are young or old. A good citizen

or a felon. Death has no prejudice. One phone call delivered the news of the accident. My

mind repeated no but I knew in my heart it was true. There must have been so many things left

unsaid his parents must have wanted to say to him. I am a believer that nothing happens for a

reason. This death of a young person must not be taken for granted. I pledged to let it not be

in vain but to learn and live a better life because of the tragedy. I decided to not take another

second of my life for granted. I do not want to leave with unsaid words or undone tasks.

If only he knew he would not live past the age of nineteen would he have been kinder, less

selfish, or even more motivated? These questions I have pondered over.

The thought of losing someone one loves is unbearable. The human heart is made of

glass and cannot easily be put back together. Is there such main that measure greater than that

of a person in mourning? Tragedies happen on the television screen at a constant rate. It’s

more often than not a sad story that is happening to someone else, not oneself. Not in my case.

It was real, he was not coming back. I guess the best do die young. I see the importance in

laughing more and loving ceaselessly. Speak your mind more often than not. Make yourself be

heard. Leave your impression on the world. Do not let your candle be blown out but ensure

that it flickers and shines on. Make each moment count. Breath air into your lungs with a

passion for life. Life is short. Do not take a single breath for granted.

In the months to follow the accident I started telling my family that I loved them more

often. I went out of my way to hug my brothers and call my friends more often. If my time

were up for me I would want to make sure the people I care about knew how much they meant

to me. We do not know how much time we have so we must make the best of what we have.

I do would not want to bear the regret that if the time had come for a loved one to leave this

earth and I had not told them I loved them. After his death I realize the importance of making

each day beautiful. Roll down the windows in the car more often and smell nature. Enjoy being

alive. Love more and laugh often. Seize each day for it could be the last.

Each sunrise is a gift. Cherish the air, sounds, and colors surrounding this world. Seize

each day for it could be the last. This I believe.