Marilyn - stockton, California

This I believe…

All my life the thing I feared most was cancer. When my mother died of cancer I was so upset because this made it more possible that I would get the dreaded disease. And then, in 2004, it was discovered I had a huge cancerous tumor in my kidney. My worst fear was here.

And now, I am here to tell you it was the best year of my life.

The best advice I got was from a wonderful man who was in stage 3 of his cancer. He told me that when he found out about his illness, he realized he had two choices. One was to be angry, sad and depressed. Or, he could appreciate each day he had left and thoroughly enjoy the rest of his life. I chose to enjoy the rest of my life. I was scared but positive. And in this year, I realized how many people really cared about me. Prayers were said by many acquaintances and my brother came from another city to be with me at surgery. My closest friends were with me at the hospital and when I came home, they changed my dressings every day and looked after me. My neighbors brought me dinner every night. People let me know how much they cared.

Being an independent woman and having given to other people all my life, this was the first time I experienced people doing things for me. I survived the cancer and enjoyed my year for it taught me a lesson; you have to be willing to let go and accept help from others when needed and value those who care for you.