Never Take Anything For Granted

Jessica - Moreno Valley, California
Themes: death, family

Have you ever lost someone and not had the chance to say goodbye?

A parent, dog, grandparent, sister. No matter the relation the feeling afterwards is the same.

In my case this person would be my grandpa. We had always been close considering he lived with us. Some of our favorite activities included cards, checkers, watching old movies, or just talking enjoying one’s company. As time passed we had to put him into a nursing home. We found one close to our house so he wouldn’t be far away. My family visited as often as possible. Our time together was short but sweet.

More time passed and we received a phone call saying he had been transported to the nearby hospital. They told us he had been complaining of chest pains and suffered a minor heart attack. My grandpa stayed in the hospital for a while and I visited everyday after school. He wasn’t as energetic as he used to be and this upset me. I could tell he hated being in the hospital. Towards the last few days the doctor said he was getting better. This gave all of us hope and I couldn’t wait for him to get out of the hospital!

The last day of my grandpa’s life my mom and I were the last to see him. We had walked into the hospital after school and went into ICU. I could smell the scent of cleaner, I hated this smell. It was like you knew you were in a hospital. When we walked into his room he was eating his dinner. You could tell he wasn’t enjoying the meal though. When it came time for him to eat his peas he shot them out of his mouth halfway across the room. We all enjoyed a laugh, our last laugh together. After he was through with his dinner my mom and I decided to leave. We told him we would see him tomorrow. I didn’t say goodbye properly though. I didn’t say “I love you”. I didn’t even give him a hug.

Late that night I was woken up by the sound of my mom’s voice telling me to hurry and get up. She said she was going to see grandpa but we had to stay with our neighbor. While my mother was gone our neighbor tried to prepare us for anything good or bad. When my mom came back to pick us up you could automatically tell something was not right.

My grandpa died December 14th 2002, four days before my birthday. Had I known it would be our last time together I would have told him how much I love him and would miss him. I never got the chance to say goodbye.

It has been almost five years since my grandpa’s death. I still can’t get over it. The thing is the last time you see someone you never think it will be the last. You think oh there will more days to say goodbye, more days to say I love you. We really don’t know that though. In the blink of an eye they can be yanked out of your life and a piece of your heart goes missing.

This is why I believe you should never take anyone or anything for granted.