Benjamin - North Webster, Indiana

I believe that small things done with great love will change the world. This is a phrase coined by Mother Theresa and one that I’ve seen evident in my own life.

Every summer, the Vineyard Community Church of Cincinnati holds a weeklong youth conference that is centered on the idea of servant evangelism. It means just what it says, evangelizing by serving. We do simple and practical things like handing out free water or soda on a hot day, visiting with elderly people in nursing homes, doing free car washes, and throwing parties in low-income neighborhoods in order to show them God’s love. When we do an outreach, we hand out cards that tell why we’re doing what we do, “to show God’s love in a practical way.” These are small things on their own, but when done with great love, they can completely change a person’s outlook on life.

Think about a day you’ve had that was just awful. You’re feeling down, everything is going wrong, and on top of that, it’s 95 degrees outside. Now imagine you pull up to a stoplight and someone runs up to your window and hands you an ice cold coke. Not only does this simple act of kindness meet a physical need, but when you read the card that came with it and see that it was done to show you God’s love, a different need is met, a spiritual need.

There are numerous accounts of people’s lives being changed by this. Many people call and write the church every year with stories like this one and many people have accepted Christ because of stories like this one. And when I look at life with an eternal perspective, I believe that’s what really matters.