Andrew - Springdale, Arkansas

We all live a world where no two people are alike in any category. Everyone physically develops differently and I believe that you should be patient with your body. Throughout my life I have always been physically different than other people. I have never been very tall, but people would call me short and other things along those lines. Other people may be taller, but I am different. I don’t grow as fast so most people are taller than me. My mother and father are both tall so I know that will change. I will be patient with my body. Also I am skinny and don’t weigh as much, so people will make fun of me because I am smaller. Some people say that I am as thin as a toothpick or say that I am a shrimp. I can’t help it because I have a high metabolism so when I eat I don’t gain much weight. That is just how I was made, but that does not mean I need to get criticized. If I am patient, hopefully that will change, but that isn’t the whole story. More tragedies came along the way.

In lifting weights I am different, too. I started lifting weights in seventh grade, but I wasn’t ready. Most people could already lift a lot, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t lift the bar which was only forty-five pounds so I got teased at school. First my classmates would tell other people and it would spread. Then everyone would say things like, “I can’t believe that you couldn’t lift the bar” and “even I could do that”. Everyday it would be like this until it faded away. Now in eighth grade I have improved, but I still can’t lift as much as other people can. Luckily I have some friends that will help me persevere to lift more. I know that I am just not as strong as other people, but that will get better as I grow. The teasing still continues, but I don’t feel as bad because I know that I am getting better. That is just who I am, and I will be patient with my body. The problems didn’t stop there though.

In sports I am not like everyone else either. I may not be able to hit the ball far or be tough in the paint on the court, but everyone has their strengths. People don’t need to make fun of me because I can’t do what they do. I am better at other aspects of the game. I play differently or have different strengths than others, but that is the stage my body is at right now. If I am patient, my body will grow and I will be able to do things I cannot do now. I will be able to hit the ball farther and be tougher in the paint. I will also be able to lift more weight. I believe that you should be patient with your body.