Connor - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: family, setbacks

I Believe My Brothers Help

This belief started several years ago, on the night of October 4, 1993. I was born into a family with one older brother named Aaron. I would pester and bother Aaron, just to get him to play, and, as time grew, I began to notice my brother more and more. He grew older and had less time for me. This made me feel weak, with a hole in my stomach. I grew up having someone to play with, but he seemed different. My brother and his friend would sometimes play jokes on me and leave me out. For the first time in my life, I felt alone.

Then, in August, 2001, I gained a new brother, Quenton. I treasured my new brother, but, as time passed, he began to annoy me. My younger brother started to pester me, and that was when I changed. I realized how I had acted to Aaron, and I felt horrible. This experience with Quenton, though tiring, helped me relate to my older brother and all three of us slowly became friends as well as brothers. This was when I noticed just how strong my brothers’ bond with me had become.

Even still, this was not to last. As time went on, my older brother and I fought more and more. We would argue to the point where I really didn’t care what happened to him, our family, or even me. Then, one July day, while practicing with my father, I fell while riding a motorcycle. The fall was, thankfully, on grass, but that wasn’t the worst part of it. The motorcycle came down with me and the spokes on the wheel caught me. I was immediately sent to the emergency room for a cut heel, and got a cast and walking boot. I was sent directly to lay down when I got back and had to wait to heal, and it was thanks to my brothers and my parents that I was able to get up and walk without a cast a month later.

Then, just as I had healed, school started up and Aaron went to ASMSA, a school in Hot Springs that is for intelligent students, and was a boarding school to prepare kids to go to college. I realized that it’s true what they say, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. The time away from each other caused my brother and me to calm down and not fight. Every other weekend, my brother will come home, and helps me get through my teenage years. As well as my older brother, my younger brother helps me with things such as patience and responsibility, even if he doesn’t realize that quite yet. They have taught me many things through my lifetime. It is thanks to my brothers that I am a better person.

This I believe.