Ashlee - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe that shopping is a sport. A lot of people won’t agree with me on that, but it is what I believe. Just like any normal thirteen year old girl, I spend a lot of my time shopping. But at church camp this summer, I proved to myself and others that it really is a sport.

While I was there, everyone had to tell something about themselves that others didn’t know about them. Well, being the preacher’s child, most all of the people there knew me pretty well. So all I could think of for my answer was that anytime I get, I really like to spend it shopping. I also told them that I considered shopping as a sport. I got a lot of awkward looks when I said that. They all told me that shopping couldn’t be a sport because there wasn’t a way that I couldn’t win or loose. I thought about what they had all told me, so I started to believe them.

After a while, I thought of a comeback to what they told me against my belief. I finally knew how I could win and how I could loose in shopping. I went back to them and told some of my new friends that I had it. They had no idea what I was talking about. So when I brought the subject back up, they were all laughing and they really wanted to hear what I had came up with. So I began to explain my belief.

I told them that I believe that shopping is a sport because if you want to win in shopping, all you have to do is have a good time. In any other sport, there is a lot of pressure on the teams. I think that sometimes the team is too focused on the competition and all of the pressure from the some of the team members and the coaches that they can’t have as good of a time as they would like to. In shopping, there is no pressure. It is a fun and relaxing way for a girl like me to spend her time.

When I go to the mall, I don’t think about how I am going to “beat” someone else in shopping because there really isn’t a way. I think that the way that you loose in shopping is by not having a pleasant time. If I go to the mall and I am in a negative mood, I am obviously not going to have a good time, so I put that on myself when I am in that kind of situation. Although, shopping is not very athletic, I believe it is a sport because there is still a way for me to win, and there is also a way for me to loose.