Olivia - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living like you’re going to die tomorrow. I think this is an important way to live because waiting for things to happen isn’t going to get you anywhere. If there was a big football game three days away and that’s all I was focused on, I wouldn’t be grateful or happy about anything else in my life. Just waiting for that football game is not going to raise my grades or tell my family how much I love them.

I think focusing on what truly matters is the most important thing to do. I cannot express enough how important it is to just live in the moment. If my mom or dad tells me how much they love me and all I care about is spending the day at the mall with my best friend, then I am taking my everyday life for granite. No one ever knows what they truly have until it’s gone. That could have been the last time my parents told me they love me, because the next day one of them could die in a car accident. I take these kinds of things for granite everyday.

Just waiting for a dream to come true or a friend’s birthday party to arrive isn’t going to help anything. I believe in making things happen, not waiting for them. This aspect of life will also get me further to my goals. I think everyone misses great opportunities everyday. They may not seem like great opportunities, but I think they are. It may just be your parents saying they love you, or the day you decide to walk your dogs. I think if I truly cherish what I do have at the moment I will be less selfish, and more grateful. The day I decide to walk my dogs could be the last day they live.

If a friend’s birthday party is coming up that’s great, but my whole life doesn’t need to be focused on that. There are other things that are more important to focus on. School, friends, and family are a few examples of important things to be focused on. Like I said, live in the moment. I believe in experiencing everything you would like to experience and living life to its full potential. Live life the way you want, and don’t regret a moment of it. Never look back, always focus on the present. This I believe.