Ashley - Springdale, Arkansas

There is an old Chinese proverb that states the miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on water, but to walk on the Earth. I believe in this proverb because when I was born many of my organs were not fully developed. This was because I was born about a month earlier than I was supposed to. Immediately after coming out of the womb, doctors, and even my mother, knew something was not right. They all knew I was born a premature baby, yet something else was wrong with me. After several doctors’ theories and endless examinations, everyone knew what was the matter with me. It was because of all the talk about my condition in the hospital that one doctor who had had a patient exactly like me, knew what was wrong with me. I had been born with a disease named adrenal insufficiency, in which my glands that produce salt, potassium, and steroids, naturally do not function at all. Once I was diagnosed with this disease, the doctor said that in order for me to live a practically normal life, I had to take medicine three times a day for the rest of my life. If I did not do this, I would get seriously ill and die within three to four days. All my life just getting a little cold was almost fatal for me. I would end up in the hospital if I just threw up one too many times. Since it was not good for me to get sick, it made me where I could not be around anyone that even coughed or sneezed practically. A lot of the time during the winter I had to stay away from my friends if they were sick with anything, so that I did not catch it. Even though most people thought that I was diabetic because of my medical alert bracelet, it never stopped me from doing the things that I love most and it still doesn’t stop me to this day. Today I am an eighth grader at Central Junior High and I thank my family and mostly my mom for that. If my mom and my family had not believed that I would have lived, then I would not have written this essay today and I would be six feet in the ground. The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on water, but to walk on the Earth. This I believe.