Adam - Muncie, Indiana

I believe that writing has the power to inspire. Every time a story is produced, the mind unlocks parts of itself that have never been opened before, having the power to positively change a lifestyle. By writing and formulating ideas, new things can be dreamt, made, and known to everyone.

High school has its ups and its downs. These ups and downs are scattered throughout an entire high school career, and it is a definite rarity for a “down” to somehow transform into an “up”. However, during the first semester of my sophomore year, I was lucky enough to witness this transformation, which took the form of a creative writing class.

I had signed up for the class merely to receive some easy credit toward my diploma. As an elective course, creative writing served only as a ”filler” in my school day. This class, despite the reputation of previous elective classes, turned out to deviate from the norm. We wrote in a journal every day on specific topics given by the teacher, and afterward we were able to share our entries with the class. The more I wrote in this journal and equally heard my entries along with my classmates’, the more interested in the class I became. I took advice from others about my writing and used sections of their ideas to formulate my own. Unlike other electives in my schedule, I actually looked forward to creative writing.

As the semester unfolded, I began to see things in a different way because of my writing. On every walk home from school, I would make new stories in my head: the park on my way home became a battlefield; the houses around it turned into strongholds for people hiding out from a zombie invasion.

Writing certainly has the power to inspire and open fragments of the mind that have gone unnoticed. By utilizing these parts of the mind, an entire lifestyle can be changed for the better. New things can be dreamt, made, and known to everyone by the ideas unlocked by writing.