Andrew - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: family, respect

Several times in my life my parents told me that the family always comes first, no matter what, and I never really understood what they meant by that. Then came January 14, 2007 when I got the phone call that my grandmother died. When I went to that funeral I felt miserable, but my other family members came and comforted me. Ever since that funeral I always believe that family comes first, no matter what.

That is why when my sisters or family do something wrong I don’t belittle them. I help them get back up the best I can. Family is special because when I mess up in life, my parents point out the wrong things, but only so I can fix my mistakes and do better in the future. This is why I believe no matter what the argument you have with your family members, you should forgive them, and cherish them for what time you have left on the earth.

It pains me when I hear the simple words, “I won’t ever talk to my Dad ever again because he was the worse parent ever”. My point of view on this statement is a parent or child can’t do anything that isn’t forgivable. When ever you have a dispute with someone you usually feel bad about it. I can’t imagine anyone who would want to feel this way about your parents forever, because when you get that phone call that your family member died, you won’t be able to forgive them and properly move on in your life.

I have always heard that Christmas is the best holiday because of the gifts, but I believe it is the best holiday because it is a special time of the year that we get to spend time together without jobs or busy schedules getting in the way. I believe that when you only get to see your family once a year because of your job you need reprioritize what you think goes first in your life because your family won’t always be there, but you can always get another job in life.

My family will always be there for me no matter what the illness, debt, or any other circumstances. I learned this about one month ago when my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. It struck me like a rock, but my mom’s friends and siblings came to assist her and my family in any way possible. In a month my mother will have to get a double mastectomy, and her two sisters are going to come up to my house to help while my siblings and I are at school. This truly shows the meaning of family in my eyes.

Through all the tough spots in my life my family was there. Also through all of my family’s tough spots I will be there for them. This is I why I believe family comes first no matter what.