Jacie - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: illness, science

I believe in many things, but the thing I believe in most is a cure for diabetes.

In the middle of August 2000, I was patiently waiting with my mom in the doctor’s office. I was there because we were going to see the results of a test they ran on me. I sat there wondering why I even had to have a test ran on me. Eventually the doctor came in and told me I had juvenile diabetes. I remember my mom crying and I (since I was only seven at the time) started crying too. He told us that I needed to be checked in the hospital and be in Oklahoma the next morning to meet my diabetes doctor. My diabetes doctor had me start out on three shots a day and four finger pokes a day. But as I got older my blood sugar started going high and I had to take four shots a day. But now I have this miniature device called an Insulin pump. It gives me insulin without having to take shots. But even though I still do the finger pokes, this isn’t as much of a hassle as taking shots.

Me being a diabetic has changed not only my life, but my families lives also. I have been in the hospital (or E.R.) over three times because of it. One way it has changed me is that I have been called so many names like “stupid diabetic girl” and it really upset me. None of the kids who made fun of me knew what it was like to be a diabetic. I have also had other kids treating me differently when I was in sports. But I have succeeded in being in softball, basketball, dance, and fast pitch. One way it has changed the lives of my family is because we all moved in together. So in my house there is my grandma, grandpa, uncle, mom, my two brothers and me. We may all live together but they all help me with controlling and managing my diabetes. My family has supported me and helped me get through the challenges and obstacles of being a diabetic.

One reason I believe in a cure for diabetes was when my doctor told me he was moving to Texas to help find a cure for diabetes. Dr. Bryant said at the last check-up I had with him “By the time you are a young lady, probably around fifteen years old; there will be a cure for diabetes.” I think that if a doctor tells that to someone, they he must mean it.

Another reason I believe in a cure for diabetes is because every year we have a Walk to Cure Diabetes to raise money to help find a cure. We have raised over two-thousand dollars just to help find a cure. Plus you here on the news how close they are to finding a cure. So I believe in a cure for diabetes.