America, My New Home

Viola - The Woodlands, Texas

I love America! After moving from Germany to the States at 14, and then out of my father’s house at 19 years old, I began to realize just how versatile and flexible of a life I could lead here in America. I found the freedom of choice and that became a practical and integral part of my life. I found freedom to worship God and the freedom to study spiritual things that matter, which would eventually become a tool of healing for my life.

I am proud to be called an American as I think back of the patriotism that was displayed after the 9/11 event. It was inspiring, and I realized that its energy came from a different source than the nationalism that Germany displayed during WWII. The courage to be visionaries that is seen in so many Americans is founded on deep abiding principles of true “liberty and justice for all.” Americans will bind together as one during times of tragedies as well as in times of victory.

I love America! I lover her tolerance for foreigners around our globe. I love the generosity this country displays during times of need, even to her enemies. I have stood in amazement as I have observed people give, for example, after the Katrina hurricane disaster. People of all socio-economic levels opened their pocket books as well as their homes. I stand in amazement as I watch the American people display resilience as they always find a way to re-build their lives again and again, no matter what difficult circumstances may come their way. What an inspiration!

I love America because no one will place restrictions as to the level of educational opportunities one wants to obtain. Through sheer determination and hard work, any goals can be attained. Wealth on every level in America can be realized through hard work and wise decisions made.

Americans have large hearts. Friends in Germany expressed once that they enjoy visiting this great land of ours because the people “seem so friendly.” I would have to agree with that as our motto still remains that “the customer is always right.” Americans are happy, loving and giving people, always finding a way to look at the positive, to work hard and to continually strive to become better in every way. Solutions are sought for the more difficult dilemmas of poverty and ignorance because America desires equality for all of her people. Wisdom is sought to protect our land and to protect those who are weaker than ourselves.

In 1976, during the warm summer month of August, my father, an American, found me in an orphanage and flew to Germany to bring me back to the United States. A few months prior to his arrival, I and the other children in the orphanage, were informed of this news. I became the most popular girl for the remainder of the time there when the other children learned that I was really moving to America. It was such a proud moment for me when I realized that I was to finally have my own family, and furthermore, that I was coming to live in such a great country.

With all the pain that came along with making the transition from another country, learning a new language, and trusting a new people, I have found myself. I am free, I am proud, and I am an American!