Carlie - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe in listening to my parents’ advice. Even though most of the time I don’t admit that since my parents are strict with me, I become a better person in the end.

I used to hate it when after a basketball game my dad would go on and on about all the things I should have done differently. I felt like I was getting constant lectures about all the mistakes I made in just one basketball game. I used to think it was because he was just seeing all the things that I did wrong and was disappointed with me because I wasn’t as great as he was when he was my age.

Later on I realized that he was saying all these things because he saw how much potential I had and how he knew that I could be incredible. He just wanted me to be the best I could be. That’s when I started to look forward to when he would give me pointers, because I felt like that was his way of showing his love for me, by giving his gift of knowledge about the game we both loved, basketball.

I used to let everything my dad said go in one ear and out the other. But when I finally started listening to what he said. I got better; I started to have a constant drive to dominate. Once I started to make changes in the way I played, he immediately saw how much better I was, and while he was giving me pointers, he also gave me pats on the back for my extreme effort and never giving up on myself.

The best part was that my dad started to be more pumped before our games. He told me that he never felt so proud of me, not just because I was doing better, but because I kept my attitude in check and constantly tried to be positive and uplifting towards my other teammates. He would always say it takes more than one person to win a basketball game. I later realized that it takes a team and all five players on the court need to work together. I learned that after a basketball game you need to leave all hard feelings on the court, and that whether we like it or not we’re a team. We actually started winning games and achieving our goals. We even started raising the bar in everything we did. Finally my dad started giving more pep talks to go along with the pointers. I felt proud of myself, and he did too.

This truly showed me how much it pays off when I actually listen to my parents and take what they have to say to heart. Even today my dad gives me lectures and of course, peps talks. But now I don’t mind because I know what the true meaning of it is, there’s always room to get better, we just believe we can. This I believe. ‘