Abby - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: golden rule

I believe in the Golden Rule.

“Do unto others as you would have done unto you.” This is a very well known quote that started in the bible called the golden rule. It is very true, and I believe all people should follow this rule and take it to heart.

I’m thirteen and in eighth grade. It pains me to see kids being picked on and being mean to one another. This is because I have the experience and knowledge of what it feels like. It is already hard to be in Jr. High and being picked on does not help that feeling at all. I am 4’ 10”and blonde and so you can just imagine what kind of ridicule from my 16 year old brother and all my peers. I get called Blondie and midget all the time, and comments like “How’s the weather down there” and “You make me feel so tall“. I say if you don’t want me to say that kind of thing to you then don’t say them to me.

I’ve seen kids who don’t have the money for nice clothes get made fun of for how they look and it just breaks my heart. The same way with mentally and physically disabled get made fun of and it just makes me want to cry. I know for a fact that if you or a loved one had any of these disabilities that you would not want to so them get made fun of or ridiculed. So if you wouldn’t want you or any one you love to be treated with disrespect, don’t you think that no one else would want that. That, in a nut shell, is the golden rule.

If your conscience will let you ridicule and pick on someone then so be it but there is also another saying that would go hand in hand with the golden rule: “What goes around comes around”. This quote is absolutely, positively true. It means that if you are mean to someone that the same will come back to you. So if I were you I would hold off on being mean to people because you never know what may happen to you in return. Beside the fact, you may scar and hurt the person forever so that they may never be the same.

These are just a few reasons that I believe in the golden rule and do my very best at applying it to my life. Just remember I believe in the Golden Rule.