Andrew - Arcadia, California
Themes: love

Enlightenment, identity, independence, love, and security. Which aspect of life are you farthest from obtaining, most desperately searching for? I was asked this in my English class, and the answer immediately came to me because it was the one aspect of my life I’ve always been searching for, the one indispensable force everyone desires to obtain: I believe the “greatest of these is love.”

Our ability to love is a gift from God, His inheritance to us so that we may experience spirituality, affection, and peace. And because our spirit is greatly affected by the divine, I believe love is somehow connected to each of the five points above. Through love, I am certain I will discover many truths, gain knowledge about the spirit inside of me, experience a form of enlightenment. When I discover love, I believe that I will discover things about myself through sharing a new life with her, realizing my identity. And by embarking on a new life with her I will gain independence and security, for when the weight of the world crushes my spirit and disheartens me, she will be there to soothe the pain.

If love is so important to us and is constantly on our conscience, why is it that there are so many lost souls out there still searching? There are so many contradictions in today’s world, what with the online match making and speedy Las Vegas weddings, that I sometimes doubt true love exists. Perhaps the reason I am so far from obtaining love is because I am still confused about what it truly is. My friends are constantly getting into and out of relationships, tossing the word love around like a hackysack. However, I keep in mind that the limits of my consciousness are bounded by my experiences in life, so as I look into the future, I’m hopeful that I will find her.

Mankind’s greatest strength is our capacity to love, to show compassion for one another. Discontentment has found its way into everyone’s heart, for the pains of this earth are far too great for one individual to face alone, but love is a powerful force. I just hope I don’t miss my chance at it.