This I believe-small town hospitality

rober - indianola, Iowa
Themes: community, place

This I believe, I believe in small town hospitality. When I moved from a bigger city, to the small town I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew that in small towns a majority of the people know each other, or they know if you have lived their all of you life. When I first moved there I didn’t leave the house very much other than to go to college in the mornings. Then I got a job at the only gas station in town. It didn’t take long for people to say welcome to the town, and they knew right where I lived. After only a week or two everybody knew my name, asking me to come over for bar bq’s, stuff like that. Before I knew it I felt at home in this small town.

I work at that gas station for over a year, and then I decided it was time for a change, and when I told people that I was going to quit at the station, they told me not to because it wouldn’t be the same without me. Little did they know that I was going to work at the bar and grill in town. Gary was very happy to have me come and work for him because he said that everybody liked me in town, that I was a good, hard working young man. It didn’t take long for the word to go around town, since it was a small town that I was working at the bar. With in a week we had more business at the bar then there had been in a long time. They say it was because I was nice, and I cooked good food.

Shortly after becoming a member of the volunteer fire department asked me to join the fire department. I was the first new person to join the department in ten years, so everybody was close, and had worked together for a long time. I was worried that I wouldn’t be accepted in the department, because I wasn’t from around their all of my life. I never once felt that way in this town. They were very accepting of me, and I know call it home.

Now that I am away at college my mom always says that everybody wants to know how I am doing, etc. I feel more at home in this small town then I did in the bigger city. That is way I believe in small town hospitality.