Christopher - Nanuet, New York
Themes: pleasure

I believe that waking up at 4:30 AM is hard. Since I was fourteen years old I worked at a golf course where the people who played woke up at times that never made sense for playing golf. Whenever I had to open the course, I would have to wake up before the sun came out, because as soon as it did, it was time to send out golfers.

It never occurred to me the importance of my job until one day when I had a conversation with a man who was the first golfer on the course each time he came. He would tee off before 6:00 every time he played. On a day where I had enough time to talk to him when he finished, I realized the reason he played so early was because of his role in life. The man was a hard working doctor, who worked every day, except on Sundays, when he golfed. I also then realized the man had a family to attend to, and to spend time with, and that early Sunday mornings was the only time he had to himself, to do what he loved. The man played alone, and that also confused me until I understood his situation.

Waking up at 4:30 taught me about the importance of family, hard work and of the beauty of having time to enjoy life. From that day on, I would always show up to work early and get most of it done before the sun came up, because seeing the sun rise over the New York City skyline became one of the most important parts of my day. It was my time to think about how beautiful life can be, away from the drama of high school and the things in my life that were negative.

Leisure time is important, and as a young adolescent, I never realized how rarely people with families and jobs come across leisure time. Some people, like the doctor I met, are so dedicated to keeping a sense of enjoyment in their life that they wake up at ridiculous times just to do so. I like to keep that idea with me. I would never want to fall into a routine that I did not consider enjoyable, at least at some moments. Even when waking up at 4:30 for work, I found pleasure in taking in the atmosphere, and making people happy by being there to work when they needed time to themselves.

Life can throw all kinds of obstacles, but it takes a person’s optimism and dedication to find enjoyment and pleasure. A person must be optimistic to see the hours before sunlight as hours that could be spent awake, and a person must show dedication to wake up at these times. While others were sleeping, the small few on the course with me were the ones who were making the most of what they could. Waking up at 4:30 is hard, but worth it.