Everything That Looks Good Isn’t Good for You

Kari - Conway, Arkansas

Think about it, what is one of the first things that you say as you sit at the table for Thanksgiving dinner before you eat? “Mmm…that food looks good!” Is it good for you though? Something that looks good but isn’t good for you can be from something small such as food or clothes to something big like a car or a person. Not to say that everything in life is bad that looks good, but just don’t be too eye hungry. Use your intuition. Allow me to explain.

My cousin has a son who is 7 years old and weighs nearly 350 pounds. At the age of 2 she would put sugar and butter in baby oatmeal just because she said that the baby food didn’t “look good”. She would feed him like an adult when he reached age 3. Now, he has diabetes and heart problems. Because of her opinion of what she thought about his diet, he now also has a sudden snack attack every time someone mentions the word “food.”

Little things can make a big difference. As for people, I am sure that we all have experience from people whom we thought were good but were the biggest mistakes in our lives. Your “best” friend could be the biggest thief or liar. I had a friend in the 6th grade from whom I would get a very bad feeling inside every time she came around me. My intuition kept telling me “Stay away from her. She is no good,” but you know what? I didn’t care. I just ignored my gut feeling.

I slowly noticed that she wasn’t getting as much attention as I was with the guys, although I really didn’t care too much about relationships and stuff. She would say things to me to try to discourage me and really take advantage of me. When she saw that trying to knock down my confidence and self-esteem wouldn’t work, she attempted other ways to throw me off. One time she called me and asked me at the last minute to pick her up from work at 8:00pm, knowing that I had to be at work at 11:00pm and I needed to rest because I worked from 11:00pm to 7:00am. Then, after 7:00am she would call me and when I turned the phone off, she’d want to come over. “Why didn’t you tell her to stop bugging you?” you might ask. Well, guess what? She didn’t care.

There are people in this world who want you to do badly. Like my Father said “Watch out for the people who pat you on the back because the same people who pat you on the back and tell you ‘well done’ are the same people who will try their best to bring you down.” I don’t mean for you to get paranoid and ready to jump on somebody every time they pat you on the back, but to just be more alert.

Drugs, according to some people that I know, may make you feel good, but is it really good for you? Can you live without it? Material things aren’t the only things that can make you feel good or make you happy. Why not be addicted to something that makes you feel good without making you feel guilty inside after you get done satisfying your emotions. Why not do something like spend quality time with your loved ones or whatever things that are positive that you like to do? You can taste and see, but in the end I will still believe that everything that looks good isn’t good for you.