Caroline - Springfield, Pennsylvania

I believe in fairies.

As children, thousands of boys and girls are confident in the idea that something greater than themselves exists. Beings such as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny have become the symbol for a day to enjoy junk food and receive pricey gifts. As much as I support the spirit of the holidays and spending time with your loved ones, my life has always been affected by a different kind of magic. Instead of playing house or princesses as a little girl, I spent hours putting flowers in my hair and running around my backyard pretending that I could fly.

My passion for these magical creatures was so great that I never truly found anyone who understood why I loved them so much. For me, summer nights were fun not because I didn’t have school the next day, but because I would follow the twinkle of the lightening bugs thinking they would lead me to the fairies that I had been dying to befriend. As I grew older, I never forgot the feeling in my stomach that the idea of fairies provided, but I tried to find magic in other ways and wound up with mediocre disappointments.

A few months ago I was vacationing with my parents and siblings in Walt Disney World. While waiting in line to meet one of the infamous Disney characters, I started to talk to this girl who seemed to be annoying her mother. After learning that Lexi wanted to be a fairy, I entrusted her with my secrets about their world. Suddenly, she started to share what she knew, telling me she heard fairies live inside of flowers and appear when you snap your fingers. Lexi also reminded me that only the true believers in magic would be able to see the fairies.

As Lexi and I moved closer to the front of the line, she asked me if I ever saw a fairy before and gave me the best advice as to where I can experience magic. During our conversation, I glanced up at my own mother and watched the tears begin to form in her eyes. As it became her turn to take pictures and get autographs with the characters, Lexi quickly jumped into my arms and hugged me goodbye. Before I could say anything she whispered in my ear, saying “Remember, you have to believe or the fairies will never bring you magic.”

As I have grown, it has become harder to explain my passion for these mystical creatures that one can only see in movies or read about in books. One thing that still remains today is that feeling of joy knowing that fairies were all around me even though I couldn’t see them. Lexi reminded me that though we are blinded by the distractions in this world, even adults can believe in the magic that life provides us. We don’t need to see the fairies in our lives to know they exist, but every once in a while these fairies will appear and leave us little remnants of magic that stay embedded in our hearts and make each day worth experiencing.