Life is Too Short

Ashlee - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem, death

One may plan out their next two months ahead of time. One can set goals to reach someday, or put plans with people they love off until another day. But how much time do we really have? No one is promised tomorrow. Honestly no one is promised tonight. You could get in your car today on the ride home and get into a fatal car accident, who knows, you could possibly walk away from it safe and sound but then again you may not. People seem to find some sort of pleasure in living and planning for the future that they get so caught up in all of it that they forget to live for the moment. Or people put plans off until another date and time, when all they really have is right now. Take advantage of the time that is given.

On a more personal level, one of my friends, well at first we weren’t the closest of friends. He was dating my cousin, Danielle. I was actually getting jealous of him because it felt like he was stealing my cousin from me. Every time my cousin and I hung out it felt as though I was always taking her to see him. It felt like I was always the third wheel. It felt like I was left out. Well on Christmas of 2005 my cousin brought Danny to Christmas with the family. Danny and I just so happened to be matching we were both wearing red hoodies and blue jeans. That was probably the first time I really accepted him. It was kind of a new bond that made the three of us that much closer.

Two weeks later Danny was partying at a fraternity house at Fresno State University. Danny had passed out in his room after a couple days of partying and drinking. He was found the next afternoon drowned in his vomit. The media was terrible. They only told the half-truth about everything or even worse they lied. My cousin had the worst time dealing with all the lies and not to mention the loss of her first true love and best friend for the last 4 years. I had a hard time watching someone special to me have to deal with all that. I helped everyway I could. You never know when something terrible is going to happen. We just have to make due with what we have and make the best of it.

Life is too short. So live life like there is no tomorrow. Live life to the fullest. Live life with no regrets. And most importantly live life for yourself and no one else.