Today’s Justice System

Brian - Russellville, Arkansas
Themes: injustice

I believe that today’s justice system has many problems. There are people out in the world that have committed no crime, which have state and federal numbers. What I mean by state and federal numbers is when you are arrested for a class A misdemeanor or a felony you are finger printed and give these numbers. This process is done long before you are taken to court and found guilty or innocent. When a department finger prints you, they send the finger print card to the Arkansas Crime Information Center and to the FBI. Once the numbers go into the system there is no removing them. This affects people for the rest of their life. It can cause employers to turn them for a job that they may be more qualified to do. When they get pulled over by law enforcement, it raises a flag to the officer and to everyone in scanner world. These numbers are a good thing, but if a person is found guilty why should they remain in the system. Why not hold the finger print cards until the person is found guilty or do not assign a number to that person until they are found guilty.

The justice system isn’t just limited to finger print cards and numbers, but why is it that the child molesters and rapist get less time in jail than the one who transports or does illegal drugs. I worked at the Pope County Detention Center for about four years. During my time there I have heard many different stories of why people would do the things they had done. One story stands out in my mind more than others. An older man was in jail for transporting marijuana from California to a distributor. The man knew that what he was doing was wrong, but told me the only reason he did what he did was to feed his family. He was behind on his bills and was about to lose his house. He also told me he tried to get many jobs, but lacked the skills needed for the position. So someone he knew offered him a quick way to save his house and feed his family. This man, who was trying to take care of the people he loved, had to suffer. He went to the penitentiary for a minimum of 25 years, when a child molester or rapist can be out within five to 10 years. Hardly sounds fair to me.

Hopefully by reading this you can see how there are flaws with today’s justice system and maybe these problems can be fixed with tomorrow’s leaders.