Nicholas - Conway, Arkansas

believe that people either stand for something or fall for anything. Every man and women on earth has some sort of belief, and I believe if you do not stand up for what you believe in, you will fall for anything.

I believe this because I am a natural leader and I don’t let anyone tell me what to believe in. I stand up for all my beliefs no matter how small.

Around the age of fourteen I was offered marijuana or “weed”. My entire life all I have heard from my parents is “STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS” and them talking about how much trouble I would be in if they ever caught me using them. This decision should have been easy, because I believe in staying drug free. It wasn’t that easy, because the one’s offering me were my cousins.

Cousins to most people are just some kids that you go see a couple times during the summer. Not to me, my cousins lived three houses down from my sister and I. They are the same age as us and we get along as if we were all brothers and sisters. My sister was sixteen at the time and my cousins were sixteen, fourteen, and twelve. The oldest of them was Marida, and then Dakota, and finally Shone who had no idea what was going on.

On a scorching day in the middle of July my sister and mom went to Little Rock for the day and the rest of us feeling lazy decided to stay home. We had just started watching a movie when Marida pulled out a sack of weed and started rolling a blunt. She lit it and held it out for me to take. I thought about it and decided to stick to my guns and said, “no thanks, I don’t smoke”. That was one of the hardest decisions in my life. To my surprise they said “that’s cool” and just skipped me. I decided that if I can stand up to my “brother and sister” I can stand up to anybody.