The Beauty of Nature

Whitney - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: nature

One night I’m walking back to my room when my phone rings. I look to find that I’ve got a text message from a new friend. It says, “Have you seen the moon tonight? It’s beautiful.” So I go and look for the moon. With no luck I go to my room, finish homework and go to bed. The next day I go to class, then after classes I hang out with some friends and I’m looking at the sky looking for the moon. With it only being around seven o’clock, the sun is just now setting and I’m just amazed at the beauty of the sky. All I see are deep reds, pinks, and purples; I think to myself that this is truly one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed in my life. Not only the sunset, but when the full moon comes out and is lighting up the night sky and is slightly covered by some clouds, I can’t help but wonder why I have missed out on this for so long. I realized that I have just been too preoccupied with my little box, that I haven’t been able to look out and see the beauty around me.

The next day I am with some friends, again, and I ask them if they noticed the sunset and the moon last night. All I get in return is just blank stares and questioning looks. Then I’m hit with the thought that I’m not the only one that has failed to notice these things for so long. I feel like a fool for not being able to realize the world around me and to enjoy it as well. Not only sunsets have I missed, but what about the fall days when it seems like there are millions of different colors on one single tree? That has to be amazing to view.

Now that I have realized what I have missed out on for so long, I intend to keep my eyes truly opened to what is around me so I don’t miss out on anything else. I absolutely believe that the world has missed out on nature’s beauty for far too long.