Destiny Is Ours; And Ours Alone

Chassidy - Little Rock, Arkansas

If I’ve never really believed anything in my life, I know that I believe this one thing. Only we can determine our destiny.

I am the only person who can tell me that I can or can’t do something. There have been many times when people have tried to tell me I “can’t” or I “wont”, but I never listen. I can’t imagine how pitiful my life would be if I listened to people tell me “Girl, just let it go” or “Girl please, it’s just not for you”. I would probably be a wreck and no one would be able to help me. That’s why I choose my close friends wisely and turn to my family for advice.

When I was younger, my mother told me “hunny, you can be whatever you want to be…as long as you’re bringing something home to mama”.

I took those words and buried them in my heart. Ever since we had that talk I’ve been trying my very best to succeed in everything I do. I may not be bringing a lot of money home, but I love to see the pride in my mother’s eyes whenever I bring home another trophy from choir or drama.

One day after school, I went to my grandma’s house. I was really upset and I had been crying. When I got there, I went to the bathroom to clean my face, so that my grandma wouldn’t know that I was upset and I had been crying about. After I cleaned myself up, I went into the living room to watch t.v. When my grandma got home, she sat down on the couch beside me. I tried not to look at her as I gathered up enough voice to say, “Hey Granny”.

I knew she could tell in my voice that something was wrong because she didn’t speak back. She just looked at me. Then, in her most concerned voice, she said “What’s wrong with you?”

I replied (almost in tears), “Some of the girls at school think I’m too fat to be a famous singer”.

I knew what was coming next.

“Well, just turn on around and let’s talk this out” she said.

After I told her the whole story and how I felt about it, she said one thing that made me feel so much better. She said,

“Well, do you want to be a singer? ‘Cause if you do, you can’t let anybody bring you down. You have to believe in yourself and be sure that you have what it takes to be what you want to be.”

That one conversation changed my whole outlook on the future.

Right then and there, I made a vow to myself that I would never let anyone keep me from what I wanted. I am the only person who can determine where my life goes from here, and it’s definitely going places. My motto is and always will be…

ONLY WE CAN DETERMINE OUR DESTINY.