Choose Your Own Path

Matt - Benton, Arkansas

I believe that every decision you make now, affects your future. Life is full of decisions and each one will form a new path for you to take; there is no reverse or shortcuts, no backspace or undo buttons, only you and the paths that form before you. A teenager comes home from school and instead of doing his homework he decides to smoke pot. This decision has made a new path for him to take. A quarterback steps back in the pocket to throw a pass, Instead of going for the quick easy pass, he goes for it all and succeeds. Ten years later he is rescuing seamen for the U.S. coast guard because he doesn’t take the easy way out; he goes for it all every time. A friend of mine decides to drink at a party. Then gets in the car to drive home. On his way home he has a wreck, he is arrested and charged with a DWI and also underage drinking. By making that decision, many paths that would of opened up for him later, he will never see. He also loses the trust of his family and friends.

One of the biggest decisions a person can make is deciding on what to do when they grow up. Each occupation will have its advantages and disadvantages. More money, more time off, what do you love to do, amount of schooling, all of these decisions are added on to the one big one. What do you want to be?

Who you choose to hang out with can also affect your life. By choosing the right friends and people that are around you, you can give yourself many opportunities that you would of never had.

Another decision that I made is to play football in college. Yes, it is very time consuming and requires a lot of hard work. I believe it will pay off in the end. Football players receive a lot of extra help and teachers are also a little easier on them, some of the time. It makes me do my homework, go to class, and keep my grades up. If you don’t do any of these or in fact if you don’t do one of these you are punished and not able to dress out at a game. Also the recognition for being a football player is well worth it. You meet a lot of new people and make new friends. So in the end all of your dedication will pay off.

New choices are placed in front of you everyday. Which path will you choose?