Brett - Vail, Arizona

Friendship and trust keep the world turning. This I believe. Human nature keeps them necessary, and without them we would collapse. I believe that without these bonds between friendship and trust, other basic morals such as truth and honesty could not exist, because people would have no need to rely on one another.

Life relies on friendship. By nature we are social and rely on one another to survive. Without friendship our society and we as people could not exist as it does today. Friendship is a basic part of human needs, and what we all gravitate to. Myself, and every other person on this planet needs and aspires to have friends, as an underlying and subconscious part of ourselves.

Trust is what keeps the world from crumbling around us. Trust is what prevents constant war and espionage. Trust is what separates the good from the bad. Trust is what keeps those that have lost all hope from giving up. I believe that there are other factors in this world, but without trust none of them could function.

As our world continues to seem to shrink into darkness, those that hang on to trust or friendship are certain this could never happen. They continue to excel, and become leaders in their communities. Friendship and trust provide us with anchors to the world, to keep us from succumbing to what the naysayer says. I believe that with trust and friendship, our world will never shrink into the darkness, and that is why we must hang onto them.

Friendship and trust give us something to believe, something to hang onto when nothing seems right, and when nothing seems possible. Friendship and trust inspired people like Benjamin Franklin to achieve. Friendship and trust don’t put food on the table, but they provide the reason to put food on the table. I believe we all need someone to aspire too, I believe everyone wants something to aspire to, someone to trust.

Anyone that has experienced intense teamwork has learned to rely on trust. In paintball, I learned you need someone that you can trust. Someone that when they say “I’ll back you up” you know you can rely on them. Otherwise you’re dead. If people constantly stare behind themselves because they need someone to trust their back with, they’ll trip over their own feet. The trust of teammates is what leads to friendship, friendship leads to trust. Both are co-dependent as the base of all society. Both are teachers, both are survivors. Both make me a survivor.

Friendship and trust, two of the most basic things in our world, but that ring out and echo around us as we search for a meaning. Two things that provide us that meaning for life. Two things that make the meaning of life. This I believe.