Mistakes Mistakes Mistakes…

Christine - Little Rock, Arkansas
Themes: setbacks

Mistakes happen all the time. I believe everyone learns from their mistakes whether it be a big change in their life and affect them immensely or it be a small change. When people learn from their mistakes, it affects and changes them for the better. People don’t just learn from mistakes themselves. Sometimes it takes another individual to help.

Once I was out with some friends and totally forgot about bringing my cell phone. Hello? I take my cell phone everywhere! How could I forget? We met up with some friends and for the rest of the night it didn’t ever occur to me to call my mom, who was very strict on having me call her to inform her where I was occasionally. I returned home at my designated curfew time, midnight, which by the way I had a problem with but that’s another story, only to find my mom who was worried sick.

She started ranting, “Where have you been! I was worried about you!” Bottom line, I never left my cell phone when I left my house again. This mistake I made helped me learn to be more responsible, even regarding other instances.

When I become angry, I need different ways to let it all out. Sometimes in the past, I would take it out on people, even my family. This was completely unfair to them. I didn’t realize how bad I would hurt other people just because something bad or un-wanted happened to me. Just because I had a bad day didn’t mean I had to make their day worse. I soon developed ways to let my anger out like screaming in a pillow, or even punching the crap out of it, just getting away by myself until I would cool down, or working out which I do the most of. It’s a great stress reliever. Only so many “sorrys” go so far and actually mean something to other people.

In the beginning of my sophomore year in high school we were assigned a big summer reading assignment where we had to write short essays on the different chapters in our book. One of my good friends asked me to help her out on a couple of the assignments, and being the good friend that I am, I did, not knowing I was making a big mistake. I told her to take a few of my ideas, but not my entire paper. Well, she ended up using all of my ideas word-for-word. After we turned our essays in I was surprised to be escorted by my teacher into the hallway along with my friend. We had to go before the honor council for her stupid mistake, which leads to me learning to be more careful about who I share my information with.