Amanda - Beverly, Massachusetts
Themes: afterlife, family

I believe that my brother is watching over me. It has been fourteen years since my brother Brian died. He was twenty-one years old and played football, lacrosse, and rugby at Bridgewater State College. It was in the wee hours of the morning when my parents got a phone call that Brian had been in a severe accident and had been rushed to Mass General Hospital. My parents were told that Brian would be okay; this was obviously not the case. Brian had cracked his head open on the metal medians along the highway, he lived for five days before he was put out of his pain. During this period I lived with our family friends while my parents stayed in Boston with my brother.

I believe that Brian is in Heaven looking down on me and making sure that I stay safe. I believe that he does not want my parents to go through the pain of losing another child ever again. I know that Brian is watching out for me, his baby sister. I know that he is making sure that his friends are watching out for me. This past year I received a scholarship in my brother’s name. It was one of the most emotional nights of my life. I cannot explain the joy and happiness that I felt as Steve, one of my brother’s friends, called me on stage to receive my scholarship. As I reached out my hand to take the envelope, I was quickly wrapped up in Steve’s arms. He gave me a kiss on the cheek along with a “You go girl. You’re going to do amazing things in your life. Brian would be so proud of you.” It has been things like this that have always choked me up throughout my life. I had tried so hard to stay strong while receiving the scholarship, but when Steve said that to me, I could not help but burst into tears as I walked what seemed to be the two miles back to my seat. I do believe that Brian is doing everything that he can to make sure that I get the best life possible.

It was almost two years ago when I made the worst decision of my life. I had made some bad moves and ended up being taken to Mass General Hospital with of alcohol poisoning. I believe that it was Brian who saved me. I believe that he made sure that I got the help that I needed and that my parents did not have to go through another death at Mass General. I know that Brian will continue to watch over me for the rest of my life. I know this because he was the most caring and giving person. He would drop anything in a heartbeat if he could help somebody else. I believe—I must believe—that Brian will forever be the most influential person, and I will always consider him to be my guardian angel.