It requires ability to get you to the top but character to keep you there.

Jonathan - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: family, integrity

Bribery, theft, blackmail, and murder are all things that people can lose their job for. People these days will do anything to get to the top of a certain organization. This mainly occurs in business but can happen anywhere in the world. What so many people fail to realize is that character keeps you respected at the top but talents get you there.

My dad was raised being told that he was nothing and he had no talents. Both of his parents struggled to be successful and decided to take their kids down with them. His brother and sister fell right into the trap but he wanted to be different. All through his childhood he was always short of others’ expectations but he never gave up. He attended college at UCA and received his bachelor’s degree in accounting. The next big step in his career was working at Acxiom in 1995. When he began not many people knew the real person he was and didn’t really have a whole lot of insight on his potential. He has many strengths but his major strength and ability is doing the right thing as often as he can. Other talents he has are his ability to communicate and not take no for an answer. Certain deals and progress that the company needed done was something he did not take lightly. After ten years now my dad is a top executive at Acxiom and is very respected by many. His talents and perseverance helped him get to the top of his work but people recognize his character which keeps him in charge.

My dad is one of my role models now because of all he has been through. His famous line is “I’m not smart” but we all know otherwise. He is very well respected for the work he does and the way he handles everything. His fellow employees look up to him as more than just a boss but a friend. My dad’s talents helped him overcome some extremely tough conditions ,but his character is what has kept him on top.