Imad - Kitchener (Canada), Canada

Ability to get you there and character to keep you there

Accomplishing goals and using your potential, point to a pleasurable path. I believe ability is a prominent attribute to have trying to accomplish goals set. This is important if you are an athlete, or part of any rising team. The ability to run, jump, skate, write or achieve any goal, takes ability. Athletics show these attributes as well as any group or team. I believe ability can take you to the top but it takes character to keep you there. Many athletes have better abilities than others and some financial groups have a more persuasive presentation plan than others. I think skill and ability lead you to success, but character and composure help you stay on top. Practicing hard gives you that desired ability to climb the mountain; but when you are on top I think you have to set a good example for everyone else involved. A person in a leading or superior position should know how to handle situational issues appropriately.

When you’re on top, I think it is essential to show a distinct amount of character, whether it is persevering for that last yard or calculating those long numbers for that last sale. I know when I want to get something done in the classroom; I really concentrate on that last math equation or last sentence on an essay. Infectious character amongst your colleagues will help them appreciate you more and will ultimately create a sense of well being. The team or individual will be the beneficiary of good character shown in any environment. Motivating your teammates and yourself, builds a positive path. This can be applied on the athletic field or any team setting. Character will help product development and increase team comradery with business partners and teammates. I believe character and integrity really keep the pieces together in any situation. I know when I am positive in helping someone out with skills in a sport; I see good results because of the willingness to help out.

In my senior year of high school, I was voted most valuable player on my basketball team. I knew I would be judged by the way I acted. My ability spoke for itself, I could run, shoot, and dribble. I believe that respect that I gave my teammates help me stay on top. I cheered on my teammates when I was on the bench even when I played the worst game of the season. I wanted to be a positive role model and set an example for the younger players on our team. When I got on top I wanted to ground myself and stay humble to my teammates and coaches. I knew I had to take a leadership role on this team. My success drove me to maintain my abilities on and off the court, in or out of the classroom. Even though I had a nice shot, it was important to know other team captains were right there with me. I continued to practice hard on my shot and other attributes to my overall skill set.

Overall, ability will help you rise to the top in any situation, but character really grounds your position and ultimately helps you stay on top. Character helps to maintain that competitive edge to keep on improving. It inspires me to be a better player, person, business man, or student in our ever growing society.