The Glue of my Family

Danielle - Manchester, Connecticut

I believe that the glue that holds my family together is love and faith. When my grandfather died suddenly, leaving my Grandma with the task of loving and supporting three children in their 20’s she and they made it through and have all turned into kind, hardworking, loving people themselves. Without faith and love she may have given up, putting an abrupt halt on the further growing of my family tree. My parents got married in their late twenties and decided to have a baby. Sometimes though, due to the greater scheme of life, it doesn’t work. This baby died and it almost killed my mom. But my dad was there for her, using all the love he could muster up, and my mom kept faith that it would get better. It did, and eventually they had another child, just barely.

I’m sure the tragedies and hardships my family has gone through are quite common among families and may seem not that important. But it is the way that my family deals with tragedy that is so crucial. In seeing them always having faith that it was for the greater purpose in life that my Grandfather and brother had to die, and watching them still love each other ,even when they are sad, makes me know that I am truly blessed and have real love.

When I tore my calf in 9th grade, I had to go to the weight room. Once there I noticed this boy, one I didn’t know, but who was having a really fun time and laughing with all his friends. We ended up going out, and even though we didn’t know each other, I had faith in the connection I felt. Three years later, I now love the boy from the weight room, and I can only thank my family for that. Sure, you might say what could your family possibly have to do with you going out with a guy. But in my case, they have everything to do with it. Had I not been exposed to all the good things that love and faith could bring about throughout my life, I may have given up on the boy right in the beginning, missing out on a very special experience.

Throughout my entire life, my parents and aunt and uncles and cousins and grandparents showed me nothing but love, and every time there was a tragedy, someone died, someone couldn’t have kids the usual way, someone lost a job, the whole family pulled together, and kept faith that it happened for a reason and it would all be ok.

My family is now being tested again to see if their glue, consisting of faith and love, can keep it all together. The same Grandma who lost her husband so young and suddenly, who started the glue of our family, now needs our help. But I know that we will pull through, because I believe in faith and love.