Freedom through Expression

Evan - Cheshire, Connecticut
Themes: freedom, nature

The mountain is steep but it doesn’t scare me. The wind whips wildly at my face but the cold chill doesn’t bother me. I drop down into the bowl and carve a perfect turn. The powder sprays up into my face I am free. I could not be more free doing what I am doing now. To be able to ski as much as I want would be a dream come true, but if I can only do it a few times a winter then so be it because it is what I enjoy doing most. The feeling of excitement and freedom that I get from it is unmatched by anything else.

Many people are content being mediocre and settling for a regular family, that they can settle down with in a regular neighborhood, in a regular house. This essay however is not intended to reach them. I am asking all the people that question why they go to work every day to do the same job, which they dislike doing, only to buy material gadgets they don’t need. This way of living is a trap. True freedom can only come from experiencing the world in a way that allows you to come to an understanding about who you are. In other words you must go through life taking every opportunity that is available to you that you can express yourself with. Some are trapped and oppressed by the commonality of life wishing they had pursued that dream of becoming of firefight or navy airplane pilot. In a day and age when men are free to make their own decisions whether they are good or bad it is difficult to understand why most people are stuck in jobs that they dislike. If you genuinely want to express yourself doing what you enjoy most it may be difficult to achieve, but if you have the desire to do it you must make it happen.

My aunt once said to me after coming down one of my first trips on the largest mountain I have ever been on in Jackson Hole. She said as I had a defeated look on my face “the mountain can be really humbling once you realize how powerful it really is.” With a young and cocky attitude I refused to believe this. I now understand that this had much more meaning behind it, you cannot completely enjoy freedom without doing what you enjoy most and the obstacle of getting there can be as humbling as the mountain that I first skied. I found my true freedom on that mountain. In that natural beauty I came to realize that if you enjoy something so much you must integrate it into your life and then you will truly be free.