“Be the change you wish to see in the world.”

Taylor - Sherwood, Arkansas

I believe that everyone can “be the change”. Gandhi once said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world”. If you believe in something, you feel that there is something you can change for the better, go for it. Everyone has the power to be the change; you just have to believe in yourself.

The first time I heard this quote was at Anytown Arkansas, a week-long diversity camp. I learned about all the different types of racism, stereotypes, and actions that go on in school, work, and in the world in general. This quote by Gandhi set the theme for the week. I met so many people that I still keep in contact with today. Throughout the week we participated in different activities that helped us see that different actions effect people differently. You may not think that your actions affect others, but you can also not judge a book by its cover. We had guest speakers who all had a story to tell about their lives. All of the stories that I heard had someone, or something that resulted in change. The speakers all motivated us to go out and “be the change”. They wanted us to make a difference in our schools, workplaces, and in our lives. They wanted us to make a change that could possibly make the world a better place.

When the other students and I came back to school after that summer, we felt that changes needed to be made. We had the school participate in the national “Mix It Up Day”, sponsored by Uni- Club, which is a day where you sit with people at lunch that you don’t normally sit with, preferably of a different race, gender, or ethnicity. By doing this you were able to make new friends, and learn something new about someone that you might not have already known. I hope that “Mix It Up Day” continues to happen at my high school, and that kids today realize that they can “be the change”.