The Problem of Responsibility

Zack - Little Rock, Arizona

I can remember a time in my life, though it was a while ago, when my actions didn’t really have any consequences. I remember when something bad would happen or I would do something wrong, all I would have to do was run to mommy and daddy to make it better. Well, that time of life has passed for many young adults; eventually we will all have to answer for what we do. Many young adults don’t want to let go of the comfort of having their parents fix their problems; there has to come a time when you have to get off the metaphorical baby bottle and start eating solid food.

I remember when I was about seventeen and had a lapse in judgment and made a mistake. I had responsibility to get a summer job, and like any lazy teenage boy in the summer I wasn’t about to go gung-ho right out of school. Well my parents had continued to tell me to look for a job; they even told me places that were hiring at the time. I continued to wait and wait until the only job I could find was one at a run down, low paying bookstore where the hours were quite unsatisfactory. I came to my parents and was quite upset; THEY had not helped ME find a better job, when really it was my fault because I had not looked hard enough for a good job in the summer. I couldn’t blame my lack of responsibility on my parents or anyone else anymore; it was time for me to be a man and step up to the challenge.

Since that time, I have learned that no longer can anyone else but myself can take charge of what I do. I have noticed many of my generation who still want to have their mothers and fathers taking care of all their problems. This problem worries me because one day these people will get jobs and families, and when they have a problem they are going to have to handle it themselves and not know what to do, this could possibly jeopardize the futures of those they are responsible for. To quote the movie Spider-Man “With great power comes great responsibility.” As young people, who are thrown out into the world, we all need to realize that life has we knew it back home no longer exists, we now have bigger and more costly responsibilities in our life. No longer our are only worries about the feeding the cat an cutting the grass. Life, as we get older, can no longer be lived like a child.