I Believe in a Thing Called Love

Stephanie - Montville, Connecticut
Themes: love

I believe in a thing called love, and no, not like The Darkness song. I’m talking about real, true, deep, heartfelt love for another human being. It isn’t always easy to find that one special person who means more than anything in the world to you. It isn’t always the easiest thing to allow someone else to become that mentally and physically close to you. You have to be willing to open up to this person, who has always been there, ready to open up to you.

Although I am barely on the verge of eighteen years old, I believe that I am currently at a particular moment in my life where I am truly, one hundred percent happy. The majority of people in this world constantly search for that time in their lives where they find this wonderful, blissful happiness. Some people never really find it, and my guess is because, those people haven’t found true love. I know love isn’t the only thing that buys happiness, but in my book, it’s definitely the majority of the sum.

Thus far in my life, I can’t say I’ve been in a ton of relationships. I’ve learned a lot about plenty of people, attempted getting so incredibly close with them, and was hopeful that I would fall in love with one of them. I failed my ambition in the past. Although it wasn’t a goal I needed to achieve, it was constantly something that everyone, including myself always searches for. Finding true love, having that connection with another person, and sharing your lives together is something that seems almost unreal.

About three years ago, I met Ryan. We became the best of friends almost instantly, and enjoyed spending all of our time together. We kind of went our separate ways during high school and almost lost touch with that great sense of friendship we had found in each other. Earlier this year, we started talking again, almost as if that whole lapse of time without each other never really occurred. That wonderful connection I felt with him three years ago, was then stronger that it was in previous years. We began dating soon after, although I was leery of ruining this amazing friendship we had formed so easily.

After getting to know Ryan even more than I already had, spending most of my days with him, and feeling a more fierce connection than ever before, far more than with any other relationship I’ve been in, I can honestly say that I have found the love people search for their entire lives. I believe in finding that special person who you can instantly connect with. I believe in taking that extra step and allowing yourself to open up to those who are willing to become close to you. I believe in being absolutely carefree. I believe in happiness. I believe in a thing called love.