One Voice Can Change the World

Leah - Sulphur Rock, Arkansas
Themes: change, legacy

Shakespeare, Dr. Seuss, Chopin, Dr. M.L. King, Benjamin Franklin; these are just a few of the many greats in this world. Through music, speeches, books, and leadership, a single person can change the way people think, to influence them, inspire them, to challenge them to do great things.

Things happen due to ideas. A single idea that was created in a moment of inspiration, or even pure boredom. Before anything could happen to that idea, it had to be known. The voice of the creator, the idea maker, had to speak out. They had to voice their opinion. It was the voice of Sir Isaac Newton who discovered gravity, and Alexander Graham Bell who had the nerve to invent the telephone. Even farther back, before anybody knew about our land, there was Alexander the Great who had conquered most of the known world before his death.

But it doesn’t even have to be someone big or famous or rich who can change the world. On a more personal approach, it can be someone very dear and close to you. I once met someone four years ago during a summer program at Lyon College. We became good friend, and later much more than mere friendship can describe. We would talk for hours into the night about anything and everything. We encourage each other, and critique each other’s works. If something happens to one of us, the other is always the first to know. We know that we always have each other to give advice and listen to problems. Even though we now go to schools in different states, not a day goes by that we do not talk to each other. We changed each other’s idea of the world, and therefore changed the world itself, if not physically, mentally.

There is a saying that says “great minds think alike”, but I believe that is very wrong. If all great minds think alike, how can there be any diversity in the world? Nothing new would happen. The world would have massive globalization, without one singular thought. People can have similar thoughts and ideas, but to be creative, to think outside the box, to be completely different from someone else, comes from that one voice that will change the world.