Gay Marriage: What’s the real issue?

Jeffrey - Conway, Arkansas

Our society, for quite some time now, has been in an uproar over the gay marriage issue. I firmly believe that gay marriage should not be allowed or legalized. The institution of marriage was originally formed as a union between a man and a woman; therefore I don’t believe that homosexuals should be given the same treatment as heterosexual couples when it comes to the type of union granted them. Having said that, I do believe that civil unions should be granted to homosexual couples, providing that both parties are willing to comply with the laws and regulations applied to all unions.

Even though I was raised in a Christian community, the views expressed in my background have nothing to do with my opinion. My beliefs on this particular issue aren’t influenced by my religious beliefs nor my sexuality; rather, they’re a collection of opinions formed on my own from what I’ve learned about our political system. The foundation of our world is grounded on many minute details that create the fabric of our existence. If we change, or tweak one of those details, our society as a whole will crumble like a great stone castle built centuries ago. Case and point: the desegregation conflict in the early 1960’s. At that point and time in our society, interracial mixing, even as friends, was unheard of. So, of course the change in the social system that had sustained for so long would cause an eruption of angry emotions.

Granted, desegregation was a change in our social system that was a long time coming, but my point is still the same. I am by no means racist, however, I am observant, and I know that this issue [gay marriage] will be no different. It may be that it will be a good thing in the end, but for now, our generally Christian society isn’t quite ready for this drastic of a change. Life as we know it could end. Once a certain group of people discover the right amount of pressure needed to change our social system, other “minority” groups will be pushing for changes in our system. The world will erupt into chaos; Sheer mayhem on the streets. A need for a hero will arise (cue cheesy heroic music) … Maybe I’m getting a little too dramatic, but the thought remains the same. Our social system will begin to change drastically. Now am I saying that homosexuals are going to be the end of the societal structure we know and love? No. In fact, it has been my personal experience that they [homosexuals] tend to bring a whole lot more color into your life.

Though our world is ever changing, I don’t think the existing generations are quite ready for such a tumult of social uproar. Now the future generations, who knows? Perhaps they will have the strength and endurance to take such a drastic change in stride, and continue on with life, uninterrupted.