Every one has a little good in them

cedric - eldorado, Arkansas

I believe that everyone has a little good in them, if god intended for us to be all bad he wouldn’t have created us in the first place Wright? People are not born evil, we are corrupted by the things in this world. Television, music and drugs are all things that contribute to corruption, and the only way to stop a person from being corrupted is to over power the negative things in life with positive ones.

When I was a small child, me my older brother, and my two sisters lived with our mom and her boyfriend. My moms boyfriend was often very abusive towards the family, especially towards her. Despite the abuse, she continued to teach us wright from wrong and she always taught us to find the good in the worst of people. One day she decided that she was fed up with the abuse, so she shot and killed her boyfriend. I suppose you can say that she gave up on finding the good in him. Despite all these short comings mom still made sure we were placed in good foster homes, so we whould never forget what she had taught us.

My two sisters and I went to live with an older couple in Eldorado, Arkansas, while my older brother was sent to live with his father in Blythville, Arkansas. Our new mother and father continued to teach us right from wrong and the proper ways to treat people, while our brother was being taught things much different. He was being taught how to survive in the streets, to kill or be killed, to steal or be stolen from, survival of the fittest, forgetting all the things he was taught. When he was 17 his father was sent to prison, so he was sent to live with us.

When he first arrived you could tell that he was having a hard time making the transition to his new life, he always spoke as if the whole family was against him simply because he was different. Knowing that their was good already instilled in him, I took the time to remind him what our mother had taught us about treating people the way you want to be treated and finding the good in the worst of people, I also reminded him that he was no longer surrounded by negativity, that he was in a positive place now. After that day my brother never spoke of feeling out of place, and till this day we still remember things teachings of our mother especially how to find the good in the worst of people.