I Believe In the Power of Music

Brittney - Franklin, Arkansas

Music. Webster’s Dictionary defines music as ‘the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity’. I believe music means much more than that.

During the summer of 2004, boredom had taken over my life. While all of my friends were at the lake having fun, I was confined to my house due to my pale, easily burned skin. While listening to my ‘teenie bop’ music on my computer, I started searching for different songs to download. After downloading the latest Britney Spears song, I came across a different kind of sound, something completely different than anything I’d ever heard. The song was called ‘Dead Flowers’ by The Rolling Stones. I know this may not seem like a very likely song to make a person fall in love with music, but this was the effect it had on me. After listening to this song I became obsessed with finding other songs that had actual meaning to them, instead of the songs I used to listen to that only told me how “Oops, They Did It Again.”

After hours and hours of downloading songs, I found that not only did this music make me feel a certain way, but it also had meaning and spoke about things that I dealt with in my life. I could relate to the words that the artist sang. I finally came to know that I was not the only one who dealt with certain problems. I was not the only one who was insecure, afraid to be myself, and wanting so badly to fit in. Other people felt the same way I did.

I then realized that my everyday struggles that I went through could be let out simply by writing out, in song form, what I was dealing with. I could not only deal with the pain of everyday life but I could express myself as well. So if the artist that inspired me to do this had this strong of an effect, why couldn’t I make a difference as well? Why can’t I have this connection with people through what I write? I understood that I can have that connection. I may not become famous. I may never be heard by anyone important, but that’s not the point. What really matters is that people from all different cultures, races, backgrounds, and religions can relate to one another through music and lyrics.

So now I write songs, post them on the internet, and let people know that they are not alone and they can make it through. I don’t expect Jay Orpin to come knocking on my door, but at least I know that someone out there appreciates the songs and takes something from them.

What do I believe? I believe that the power of music can be stronger than anything.