Pulling Through because of Love

Mellissa - waterbury, Connecticut
Themes: family, illness, love

Love is indescribable, strange, amazing and most importantly forever. Love is something that connects two people in a way that they can only understand and only they can feel. It brings us through the worst of times and is by our sides through the best. My grandparents just recently celebrated their 60th anniversary, and still they love each other till the day they die.

About five years ago, my grandmother called my house to inform us that my grandfather was on the floor, unable to speak clearly and slightly unconscious. Telling her to call an ambulance was not something she wanted to comprehend. My mother had to take action and rush an ambulance to their house because my grandmother just refused it being a necessary act. My mother knew exactly what was happening to my grandfather from the moment she heard of his symptoms, also knowing he needed assistance as soon as possible. My whole family left on a 45 minute drive, not knowing what to expect when we arrive at the hospital.

A few hours later he lay half paralyzed in the ER with the thought that that night would be his last. A stroke had brought my grandfather to his “death bed”. He could barely talk straight and he did not know who was who. It was what we thought of as most likely the last time we would be able to talk to him, something no one was ready to accept.

My grandmother had never imagined that she would have to say goodbye this soon and so unexpectedly, and I had never seen her so concerned and so upset in her life. She stayed by his side every minute, all night and every chance that she had to be at the hospital, which was pretty much every day, all day, she was there hoping for a miracle and to be able to have her love of her life back at their home.

A year later, he is talking and walking around like no one would have ever expected. The doctors said not past that night, that changed to being half paralyzed for the rest of his life, never to walk again, and none of that was true. Of course he was never the same, always a little slower, and a little bit weaker, but he could walk, go places, live.

My grandmother and her love for him kept him alive. He pulled through probably the worst night of his life for her. Her presence and love at his side through it all, from the night of his close to death experience, and his months of recovery, she always held his hand and kept his heart close to hers. Love can be more than a feeling, it can work miracles and at the worst circumstances, bring change. I believe that love is a very powerful force in everyone’s lives that can do so much more than anyone realizes, making the unthinkable, thinkable and the unrealistic, real.