My conviction of practice

Trisha - South Lyon, Michigan
Themes: sports

I believe in winter guard. Putting together a winter guard show is very mind boggling. Our coaches have to choose what song they want to use, find out how many people are participating, design flags, props, costumes, and the tarp. They also have to create drill and choreography for the whole show. Great guards also have layers in their show along with challenging work that is in time. The shows also have a theme. Winter guard shows are like snowflakes— guards might choose the same song, flags, tarp, or props but the shows are never identical. I love it anyway.

I believe in winter guard. I come to practice no matter what. People tend to think that winter guard is easy. One season I had surgery on my back. I was on morphine and it is comforting to know that I can spin quite well in a heavily drugged state. I know this because two days after the surgery I was at practice, even though the wound kept opening and gushing blood when I stretched or did dance moves. I had to change my outfit multiple times during practice. I come to practice when I am sick too. One of the times I had pneumonia, our coach sent me home because I was turning purple when we were running sections of the show. It was just a little bit of liquid in the lungs. I would never know why he made such a big deal out of it. I love it anyway.

I believe in winter guard. It quickly became something I love because it is so challenging and there are so many different things you can do. You could spin for years and still be learning new things. I put it before everything else, from insignificant things like driver’s education or hanging out with friends to the important things like family or homework. At first, it was just something fun to do that got me away from my family for a while. Then it started to mean a lot more to me. When winter guard ends I go through a time that I become very depressed and emotional. It feels like I’m lost and winter guard happens to be the road map that I need and search for. No matter what happens, I love it anyway.