Music of the Future

Michael - Monticello, Arkansas

Music evokes powerful emotions in people. It can make us laugh, smile, and cry. It’s been a constant cultural trend throughout the history of mankind. From Cavemen beating rocks together to the Beatles playing rock and roll, music has always been there and brought people together.

Music can shape your life to become something you never thought it would be. I can’t remember the first time I heard music, but I guarantee you I liked it. From that moment on my life would be forever shaped by music and its powerful effects.

I remember my first day of beginning band in the 6th grade and thinking how cool it was when we all played our instruments together and made music. I also remember progressing on my instrument, playing with better and better ensembles, and loving every moment of making music with my peers and some of the best musicians in Arkansas and surrounding states. As a freshman at UCA, I get to play with some of the best ensembles I’ve ever been a part of and make great music everyday. As a musician, it’s like Heaven. My favorite part of making music is when everything comes together perfectly and goose bumps shoot through your body. Once you get that feeling you’ll search the rest of your life to find it again.

I look back and wonder where I would be without music and it is a scary thought. The decision to be in band instead of football in the sixth grade may not have been the trendy one but now that it has given me all that it has it was definitely one of the best decisions of my life. Music has paid for my college education through scholarships and even given me extra spending money when I would be paid for gigs. Music will even be my future profession.

If I could give some advice to the kids growing up today it would be to learn an instrument; learn an instrument because it can open doors you never imagined. It can open doors to your soul and through your soul can lie some of life’s best moments.