Richard - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: family, gratitude

Family Values

Prudence Roundtree was a precious child who lived with his parents in New York City. He was a white kid who had long hair and blue eyes. He enjoyed singing and acting. At the age of four, his parents died in a car accident. This forced Prudence to move in with his Aunt Bertha and Uncle Rickey. Because his Aunt and Uncle argues so much, this made it very difficult for Prudence to adapt to his new lifestyle.

One night Prudence was scheduled to perform in a school play entitled “Be Drug Free.” Instead of performing, Prudence sat in the rafters yelling “Please stop arguing” to Aunt Bertha and Uncle Rickey who was constantly yelling at each other. Because of all the chaos, Prudence ran away to a small town up north. When Prudence arrived, he met a black girl who’s family was taken under “family first” mentality.

Family is a group of people who are closely related by birth, marriage, or adoption. The people in your family generally love you and care for you no matter what. It is a shame when family members go years and years without speaking. The members of your family should be there no matter what. I understand that sometimes mistakes are made and it causes us to get mad at each other, but this should not be a reason to go long periods of time without interacting with each other. Even though it is not a good thing, just because family members do not talk to each other, it does not mean that they do not care for each other. They are just showing a different type of love better known as “tough love.” In my family the rule is that family is everything no matter what was said or done. They are still family and will not be treated any different from anyone else in the family. This rule plays an important role in my family, so important that even if someone was to get a divorce, they are still considered family!

Life without family can be difficult because there are times when your friends are not there to comfort you, but your family is there in your time of need. The more you know about something, the greater appreciation you have for it. Many people do not appreciate their family because they do not know what their family has done or gone through in the past. If they only knew, they would be more appreciative of their family.

I understand that in certain cases family is small and dies out and you are the only one left. I also agree with the statement “close friends can be somewhat adopted into your family.” This means that anyone who you get close to and has your best interest no matter, you could consider apart of your extended family. Family is everything to me and with a strong family bond, lie will be a lot easier.