Brittany - Conway, Arkansas

I believe that you should always say what is on your mind.

You should never hold back anything. I have had many instances when I wanted to say something and did not. I ended up regretting those timid times.

One example is when I was in class and we were having a discussion over a certain topic. I wanted to speak up very badly, but instead I kept my mouth shut. That one instance was when I was extremely shy, and I was still trying to find myself and discover who I really was. I did not have enough confidence in myself to speak up and let others know who I was, or what my beliefs were about particular topics. I think that everyone should find who they are if they do not already know. Such an important part of life is knowing ourselves and what we stand for. If we did not have confidence in ourselves, we would not be able to cope or deal with anything that was presented in front of us.

Another example of when I did not speak up was when someone was making fun of my mom, who has epilepsy. I was so torn up that I could not even defend my own mom. It hurt me deeply. Not only did I run away, I also did not even say one word to defend her or myself. I pulled through that particular instance by seeing how my mom had dealt with certain comments toward her that were more demeaning and cruel than what I was told. I noticed that she would explain to that certain person who said those harsh comments that it was not her fault, nor was it anyone else’s. It was actually no one’s fault that she had suffered from that disease. She also said that because of the disease that she had found herself. She discovered what she was put on this earth to do. She helped me realize that no one can bring you down; they can only make you stronger. She is the reason why I am so strong-willed and very independent. I am blessed to have her as my mom. She has taught me many things, but I believe this is the biggest lesson that she has ever taught me.

I feel very strongly about this belief. My entire life has been changed since I have put my full faith in this one simple phrase: I believe that you should say what is on your mind; don’t hold back your feelings.