Sharde - Conway, Arkansas

Some Things Are a Blessing in Disguise

I believe that there is a reason for every situation in our lives. I have come to realize that I have spent the majority of my life trying to understand all of the positive and negative circumstances, which I identified as consequences or coincidences. I have tried to analyze reasons for the popular topics such as war, health issues, politics, and more to develop a justifiable and satisfactory explanation that most people would agree with.

Over the years of pondering situations and circumstances in my life, I have wondered why I have been faced with several obstacles. One obstacle that immediately comes to mind is my speech disorder called stuttering.

In dealing with this speech disorder, I became frustrated because I did not and have yet to understand why I had so much difficulty trying to communicate with other people. I would think of what I wanted to say, and when I was ready to say it, I couldn’t. It’s like trying to start the engine of your car. When you place the key in the ignition and turn it, you automatically expect the car to start. If there is a time when you place the key in the ignition and turn it, but the car does not start, you think that something must be wrong because it is not functioning properly. I began to feel that since I was unable to speak fluently and clearly like everyone else, without the frequent pauses or repetitions of a syllable several times before completing the entire word or thought, then I was less of a person. While coping with stuttering, I began to notice that over the years my level of confidence and self-esteem began to diminish.

Before my sister informed me about her major, Speech-Language Pathology, I never thought that maybe God had given me this disorder so that I could find a cure for it or discover its origin. Maybe God allowed me to have this particular speech impediment so that I could relate to other patients and help them improve their speaking skills. I have come to believe that God places certain events in our lives for our own good. Through it all, I don’t consider this condition an obstacle, but a blessing. Having a desire to gain knowledge about this disorder gives me the motivation I need to achieve one of my lifetime goals: to research, find the cause, and a possible cure for stuttering.

Most people choose not to see beyond their current circumstances and realize that there is a purpose behind them. I did not recognize all of the ways that our experiences might save a life or help someone overcome their obstacles. Now I know that there is a purpose for every situation in our lives, many of which are actually blessings in disguise. I am finally at peace, knowing that I am not going through these situations in vain.